Marshall Gallop grew up in Elizabeth City, NC; and after graduating from Elizabeth City High School in 1963, entered Duke University where he earned BS, MS and PhD degrees in electrical engineering. After completing graduate school, he served a five-year tour on active duty in the USAF at a research lab near Boston from February 1972 through January 1977, attaining the rank of Captain. While there, Marshall attended night law school, obtaining his JD from Suffolk Law (1976) and LLM from Boston University (1977). He passed the bar exam and became licensed in NC in 1975. He is a member of the Bar of the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina and of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. More recently he was admitted to the bar of the United States Supreme Court in 2001.
Marshall has practiced law in Rocky Mount with Battle Winslow since February 1, 1977. For many years he concentrated on civil trial practice in all North Carolina State and Federal trial courts; as well as representing both insureds and insurance carriers regarding insurance coverage matters. He has argued cases in the North Carolina Court of Appeals, the North Carolina Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Marshall was asked to serve on the Supreme Court’s Dispute Resolution Committee in the mid-90’s, and as a member, he assisted in drafting the proposed Rules for Mediated Settlement Conferences in Superior Court Civil Actions which were later adopted by the North Carolina Supreme Court for use when the trial program went statewide. Marshall became a Certified Superior Court Mediator in 1998; and since has mediated hundreds of cases and served often as an arbitrator.
In 2005 Marshall became the hospital attorney for our local hospital system resulting in a transition to primarily a healthcare practice along with remaining active as a mediator and arbitrator.
In 2020 Marshall was selected by the North Carolina Bar Association to be a member of its Legal Practice Hall of Fame; and over the years has served the Bar Association as Chair of the Litigation Section; member of the Board of Governors; member of the Council of the Dispute Resolution Section, and member of the Council of the Senior Lawyers Division. He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys; and for many years has been recognized by “Best Lawyers” and by “Super Lawyers.”
Marshall is the President of Battle Winslow, and has served multiple terms on the firm’s Executive Committee, most recently as its Chair from 2009 to 2019.
Marshall and his wife Martha celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on December 20, 2019; and they are blessed to have two sons, Ben and Charlie, who are happily married to Elizabeth and Mariah respectively, and who have favored Martha and Marshall with four granddaughters and a grandson. Marshall enjoys fishing, walking, reading and watching mysteries, Duke football and basketball, and spending time at the beach with family and friends. Marshall is a member of St. Andrews Episcopal Church where he has served on the Vestry; and is the former Co-Chair of the Inland Regional Committee of the NC Marine Fisheries Commission.
More About Marshall
- Boston University—LLM (1977)
- Suffolk Law—JD Magma Cum Laude (1976)
- Duke University--Degrees in Electrical Engineering (BS 1967), (MS 1969) and (PhD 1971)
- North Carolina, 1975
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Member North Carolina Bar Association, and Health Law and Dispute Resolution Sections (previously serving as a member of Board of Governors and its Executive Committee; Chair, Litigation Section and Chair Civil Practice, Procedure and Evidence Committee; and member Dispute Resolution Section Council)
- Former member Board of Directors, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Former member NC Civil Procedure Study Committee
- Secretary/Treasurer, and former President, Eastern NC Inn of Court
- Member American Health Lawyers Association
Awards & Recognitions
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- North Carolina “Super Lawyers” magazine
- Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Bar Association Legal Practice Hall of Fame
- NCBA, NCADA, Superior Court Judges Conference and NCATL on Insurance Law, Practice and Procedure and/or Mediation